Diamonds are made from compressed carbon and a process that takes millions of years and as you would expect, these alluring precious stones have been mined since they were first discovered. They come in many colours and are cut with absolute precision.
Here are some of the most sought-after diamonds today.
- The Koh-i-Noor – At a whopping 105.86 carats, this clear diamond was found in South Asia. It has a long and colourful history and was once owned by a succession of rulers that included Persian Emperors, Seikh and Afghan rulers. This stunning diamond was gifted to Queen Victoria in 1849 and cut down from 191 carats to its present size. It was part of the Queen Mother’s crown and is now on display in the Tower of London.
- The Pink Legacy – This is the largest fancy vivid pink diamond in the world, which weighs in at 18.96 carats, with a colour and clarity not normally found on such a large diamond. The Pink Legacy was auctioned at Christie’s in November 2018 and it fetched a huge $50 million price. This diamond was found in South Africa and was once proudly owned by the Oppenheimer family. If you would like to view top diamonds, take a look at the loose stones in a diamond jewellery shop in Parramatta, Sydney, for example, where you can commission a hand-crafted diamond engagement ring and other jewellery. You can also check out established shops in your location through a Google search if you live elsewhere in the world.
- Millennium Star – The second largest flawless and colourless diamond in the world, the Millennium Star weighs an amazing 203 carats, or 40.6 grams. The stone was found in the Democratic Republic of Congo and remains one of the most attractive of diamonds ever cut.
- The Oppenheimer Blue – This became the most expensive diamond in the world when sold for $50 million in 2016. While you might not be able to afford the Oppenheimer Blue, you can afford custom engagement rings Sydney jewellers can craft for you. As stated above, there are also established custom jewellers in other locations, so you will find Google very handy in locating them. Most custom jewellers have access to loose diamonds at trade prices, which means having the ring custom made is no more expensive than purchasing an existing ring.
- The Hope Diamond – Some believe this stone to be cursed and the fancy dark blue stone was cut from the French Blue Diamond to reveal a 45.52 carat diamond of incredible beauty. If you do a little online research, you can read about the history of the Hope Diamond and learn about the curse it is believed to have. There are ownership records dating back more than 400 years and the diamond now resides in The National Museum of National History, where it has been since 1958.
Of course, these are just a few of the most prized diamonds in existence and if you are looking to create a very special diamond engagement ring, choosing a custom jeweller is the best solution.